Programs H - Z
*Due to COVID19 all active 50+ program dates are tentative at this time.
All Active 50+ programs are held at the Jessie Brock Community Center, 310 North Dillard Street, unless otherwise noted. Registration for programs starting on or after September 1st will be available to city residents on Wednesday August 17, and nonresidents on Wednesday August 24.
The Ink and Quill Writing Group
Enjoy writing? Regardless of your ambitions or goals you will find stimulating fellowship and writing encouragement. Learn different styles of writing and share ideas to develop plots, characters and scenes to bring stories to life. Registration required.
- 1st and 3rd Monday of each month
- Jessie Brock Community Center
- 2:00 am – 4:00 pm
I Want to Know
This activity will address different topics that may be of interest to you. Register for one or all the presentations below and walk away with a new idea, a new thought and/or just a reminder of something you once knew and wanted to know more about. Bring a brown bag lunch if you wish.
- Last Tuesday of each month
- 12:00 – 1:00 pm
- September 27: –“What Questions Should I Ask My Doctor?”—by Dr. Geffen from VIPCare
- October 25: –Climbing your Family Tree - Genealogy with June Kelly
- November 29: –“The Local: A community love story” by Jamie Mark, Proud publisher of The Local Winter Garden
- December 27: –“Meet and Greet fellow Active 50+ members” by Michelle Curtis and Carol Lippold
- January 31: – “Scams Impacting Older Adults” by Officer Gail Michaud, City of Winter Garden Police Department
- February 28: – “Are You Recycling Right?” by Donna Corbus, Sustainability Coordinator, City of Winter Garden
It is a dance that is choreographed with sequences of steps that are repeated and a group of people dance in one or more lines, all facing the same direction and performing the steps at the same time. Good exercise and great fun. The first 30 minutes of each class is dedicated to beginners and learning the basic steps of the program.
- Jessie Brock Community Center
- 10:30 am – 12:00 pm
- $7 City Resident; $8 Nonresident
Literary Ladies Book Club
Join friends to read the top 10 and the classics.
- 2nd Saturday of each month
- 10:00 am – 12:00 pm
Living Healthy with Diabetes or other Chronic Conditions
This six-week workshop teaches the skills need in the day-to-day management of chronic health conditions to maintain and/or increase life’s activities. Family members, friends and caregivers can also participate. Advanced registration is required as space is limited.
- Thursdays/September 15-October 20
- 1:30 – 4:00 pm
Lunch and Learn—Tour ORMC Horizon West Campus
Dawn Willis, the Community Relations Manager of Orlando Health Horizon West Hospital, and her staff will give us a tour of the new hospital at the Horizon West Campus and host your lunch. Transportation will be on your own to 17000 Porter Road, Winter Garden, FL 34787.
- Friday, October 7
- 11:00 am
A Matter of Balance
This eight-week Matter of Balance class is a nationally recognized program that emphasizes practical strategies to manage falls. Empowering the participant to view falls as controllable, learn exercises specifically designed to help prevent falls and learning small changes one can make which will increase our confidence in the future. Advanced registration is required and space is limited.
- Tuesdays/Thursdays, January31 – February 23
- 1:30 – 3:30 pm
My Critic’s Choice
Travel each month to a new restaurant for a casual lunch and critique the overall dining experience. Trip cost includes transportation only. Lunch is Dutch treat. Advanced registration required.
- Last Friday of each month
- 10:30 am
- $8 City Resident / $10 Nonresident
Sit, Stitch ‘n Give
Does life have you all tied up in knots? Join us for a chance to unwind. Come chat, knit, crochet, embroider, etc., and laugh with those who understand your desire to take a long piece of thread fiber and create a beloved "work of heart". Registration required.
- 10:00 am – 12:00 pm
Travel With Us!
Our community has been around the world and back. Each month someone from the Active 50+ group will share photos and interesting facts from their excursions. Come and travel with us around the world! Dessert and coffee/tea will be available. To be a presenter, please call 407-656-4155, Ext.5439.
- Thursdays--September 8, November 10, January 12
- 11:00 am – 12:30 pm
West Orange Page Turners Book Club
Bring a friend and discover current and classic authors. New members and titles are always welcome. Registration required.
- 2nd Monday of each month.
- 1:30 pm – 4:00 pm
West Orange Page Turners Annual Holiday Christmas Party
Page Turners Book Club invites Active 50 + Members of the community to their annual holiday Christmas Party at the Jessie Brock Community Center. Attendees are encouraged to bring a pre-packaged/store bought item to share with fellow members. Preferred item to be selected upon registration. Pre-registration is required. Capacity is limited to 100 participants.
- December 12, 2022
- 12:30 - 4:30 pm
- Entertainment for the event provided by Stevie G. the Orlando Elvis
Wii Bowling League
Do you still have a passion for bowling but do not have the time, energy or strength to make it to the lanes? Teams of two are forming now for a new Wii bowling 10-week league. Teams bowl September 13 - November 18. Registration required.
- Session 1: September 12 – November 18—10 weeks
- Session 2: January 2-February 24—8 weeks
- 1:30 pm for start-up meeting September 9
- $1 per person, per week due at the startup meeting or the first week of bowling