Programs A - G
*Due to COVID19 all active 50+ program dates are tentative at this time.
All Active 50+ programs are held at the Jessie Brock Community Center, 310 North Dillard Street, unless otherwise noted. Registration for programs starting on or after September 1st will be available to city residents on Wednesday August 17, and nonresidents on Wednesday August 24.
AARP Smart Driver Course
Insurance reduction and driver refresher course! Up to 10% a discount after completion of course depending on your insurance provider. Advanced registration required, as classes could be cancelled due to low enrollment.
- Monday, October 17 & Tuesday, October 18 from 5:00 – 8:00 pm both days or
- Monday, November 14 & Tuesday, November 15 from 9:00 am – 12:00 pm both days or
- Monday, January 30 & Tuesday, January 31 from 5:00 – 8:00 pm both days or
- Monday, February 27 & Tuesday, February 28 from 9:00 am – 12:00 pm both days
- $20 AARP Members / $25 Non-AARP Members
AARP Smart Driver TEK Workshop
Learn how new high-tech features in today’s cars can help make driving safer and easier. You will learn how the benefits of these technologies may enhance your driving safety and extend your safe driving years. You will receive a technology checklist and learn to identify the safety technologies that best suit your needs. Space is limited, so register now for this course by calling 1-877-805-0458.
- Monday, October 10/Time: 10:30 am – 12:00 pm
- Monday, November 28/Time: 6:30 – 8:00 pm
- Monday, January 23/Time: 10:30 am – 12:00 pm
Adventures in Craftdom
Let your creativity run wild as you create a unique craft item each month. Supplies furnished. You will walk out with a finished product. Registration required as availability is limited.
- September 13–Wire Earrings: You will bend soft aluminum wire into spiral shapes and then hammer
- them for texture. You will add ear wires for a pair of very light fun earrings.
- October 11–Sea Glass Pendant: You will hang a piece of etched glass on a leather cord and top it off with silver and sea glass beads for a perfect “natural” pendant.
- November 8–Holiday Ornament: Make a beaded cover for a glass ball ornament that will be the star of your holiday decorations.
- December 13–Christmas box: Make a Reindeer gift box and tag to hold that perfect little gift for someone special. You will also make a cute gift card holder.
- January 10–Mixed Media Mini Canvas: You will use paint, paper, buttons, and other ephemera to create a unique inspirational canvas.
- February14–Heart Charm Necklace: Bring a tiny picture or use one provided to add onto an Antique Brass Heart. Add some charms and leave with a cute valentine for yourself or someone special.
- 1:30 – 3:30 pm (Second Tuesday of every month)
- $10 fee to be paid day of each class
It’s time to party! If anyone deserves a birthday party, it's a senior citizen who has lived a rich, full life. Everyone is invited to attend and enjoy the celebration. It does not have to be your birth month to attend.
- Friday, September 16
- Friday, February 10
- 1:30 – 2:30 pm
Boccia is a precision ball sport similar to Bocce Ball, and is played inside. You sit next to your opponent on the Boccia Court. It can be played one-on-one or in teams. The object of the game is to throw or roll leather-like balls so that they land as close as possible to target ball.
- 11:00 am – 12:30 pm
A fun and entertaining dice game for all to play! No skill required! Participants are encouraged to bring a snack to share.
- 1st Wednesday and 4th Monday of each month
- 1:30 – 4:00 pm
- $3 per person
In this make and take card making class you will create one or two beautiful greeting cards each month. There will be cards designed for you—but you are welcome to add your own twist when you want to. There is nothing like receiving a handmade card that is a gift in its own right. Registration must be completed by the Thursday before each class.
- First Tuesday of each month
- 1:30 – 3:30 pm
- $3/one card or $5/two cards—fee to be paid day of each class
Start experiencing the many benefits of yoga. This instructor led chair yoga exercise video is safe and gentle and includes low impact stretching, strengthening and breathing routines.
- 9:00 – 10:00 am
Get moving in this recreational, self-guided chair exercise class! Participants are encouraged to use light hand weights to build strength. Use of weights is not required.
- Tuesdays & Thursdays
- 9:00 – 10:00 am
Games, Cards & More
Enjoy an afternoon with friends who are playing Mexican Train Dominoes, Hand and Foot, Liverpool Rummy, Euchre, Rummikub, Mah Jongg, Corn Hole and more! Participants may bring a “sealed” snack to share and personal non-alcoholic beverage.
- 2nd, 3rd, 4th & 5th Wednesday each month
- 1:30 – 4:30 pm