A vacant lot becomes overgrown with tall weeds. Is there a way to make the owner mow the lot?

City ordinance makes it illegal to allow grass or weeds to grow more than eighteen (18) inches tall. (This does not apply to land on which the natural vegetation has not been removed.) Citizens should contact the Code Enforcement division and provide information on the property. An officer will inspect the property and contact the owner of record. The owner is given ten (10) days, upon receipt of the notice or posting, to have the property mowed. However, if the owner of record cannot be located or does not mow the property, a pre-qualified contractor will mow or clean the property at a predetermined cost. The City will invoice the owner of record for the work done, plus administrative costs, and a lien will be placed on the property

Show All Answers

1. What is Code Enforcement?
2. How do I report a code violation?
3. Are complaints kept confidential?
4. How quickly will a code compliance officer respond to a complaint?
5. How can I find out if any action has been taken on a complaint?
6. What happens after I file a complaint?
7. What is a Code Enforcement Board meeting?
8. What is an inoperative vehicle?
9. What is overgrowth grass?
10. Can I operate a business from my home?
11. Can I park a commercial vehicle at my house?
12. Where can I park a recreational vehicle?
13. What if the property is a rental?
14. What can I do if I get a notice and do not understand what the violation is?
15. A vacant lot becomes overgrown with tall weeds. Is there a way to make the owner mow the lot?
16. I have received a notice from the Code Compliance Officer for violating one of the City codes. I don’t feel I was given enough time to correct the problem. What should I do?
17. If the City remedies a code violation, an invoice will be sent to the owner of record for the property. What happens if the invoice is not paid?
18. Are farm animals allowed in residential zoned area?
19. What is considered to be junk, trash and debris?